What Happens If You Don`t Get A Party Wall Agreement

The party partition agreements are an element of expansion and renovation that you might need to know. Disoriented by the legality? Real estate renovator Michael Holmes explains what it`s all about and the rules of the Party Wall Act A Party Wall Agreement are necessary if you want to do construction work near or on a party wall. You have to tell your neighbors, send them a party wall message and write down an agreement on the party walls. If you use a contractor or architect, then they should be able to advise you, even if they will not serve them the message. Party walls can be tricky, difficult things in that they are either a breeze for the owner or a legal nightmare. If you are concerned that your party will leave, here are a few frequently asked questions that we have answered in the past. Party wall notifications must be notified either 1 or 2 months before work begins, depending on the section of the law. So if you see scaffolding on your neighbor`s property and you haven`t received a message, it`s time to take action – don`t wait for the owner to start making holes in the party wall before talking to the owner. Similarly, if your neighbor starts breaking their terrace ready for a pop expansion tour and ask them if they intend to serve the message.

A few words before the work begins may be enough to encourage a contractor to inquire about the law. The law stipulates that you must share with all the neighbours concerned who inform them of your work and give them 14 days to accept the work or, alternatively, challenge the work and ask for the agreement of a party price or agreement. If the construction work has an impact on a party structure, you must do so at least two months before work begins. For excavations, you must be noticed at least one month in advance. Work can begin as soon as an agreement has been reached. If your neighbour has not given permission, you will need a party wall award and therefore a surveyor. As a general rule, you and your neighbour only use one surveyor (a good idea, as it only means one set of fees). If an agreement is not possible, then you must appoint a surveyor. You can appoint a surveyor who works for both of you, or anyone`s. The surveyor will organize a wall party award that will set out the details of the work.